Monday, August 17, 2015

Week 8: Final Blog Posting 6990



Wk 8 blog

Three things I have learned on this journey:

First learning is when taking a chance and by walking out and being open in front of others and showing passion for something you believe in, it can be scary but you must continue to go on so that you can accomplish any set goal. Embrace your team members in whatever skills they have to bring to the table. I have learned in this course that leaders can come in many shapes and sizes and no two individuals will have the same exact leadership style. For me, I must figure out what style works best for me and would be best for my organization, in order to lead others –successfully. Always have a “strong set of internal ideals and values, a desire to influence others –positively, exude self-confidence and have a strong sense of one’s own moral values” (Mind Tools, n.a., pp. 174-177).

Second learning is that I have grasped over my journey that by making sure to have a vision, a mission and a goal can set a positive tone toward accomplishing so much in the future. There will be many intended consequences, as well as, some unintended consequences but learn to take advice from those who have gone through what you are taking steps to get to because mentors are there to help you succeed, in my opinion. They have been where you are trying to go but understand that not everything you attempt to set up will even work, nevertheless, keep going forward toward your next project.

Third learning is that communication is a huge commodity. Communicating through all avenues, such as face-to-face, written, through body language or just by listening is a tool one should want to perfect along the way. It solves so many things and situations peacefully. One should know their worth and believe in it –wholeheartedly. Always remember that researching the past can give one so many helpful tools toward succeeding in the future. Do not be afraid to look deeper into whatever your passion may be, such as understanding all developmental skills that can emerge for children from play environments. In addition, one should try to do their best each time because someone will always be watching you and you never know when that person who was watching will eventually turn into a huge sponsor and work with you and your committee (stakeholders) to give you that extra leg up that was needed to accomplish a set goal.

A long-term goal for me is to continue learning and to stay current with all things that deal with early childhood education. I do want to become a director over a head start –eventually. Later on, I want to write some children’s books that are focused on helping children learn different sight words for each grade level in a game-like or adventurous manner. Reading is so important and must be desired by children for them to truly enjoy it, therefore, we –as educators must make it fun for them as much as possible. Julie Olsen Edwards (2011) states, “You cannot wait until you know enough, we never will know enough but in this arena, there is always more to learn…so, what is the goal? It is building, helping children become critical thinkers, so they can have courage, compassion and become members of a very complex community” (Laureate Education, Inc., Merging vision, passion and practice).

To Dr. Johnna Darragh and all my educators (Dr. Janet Kien, Johnna Ernst, Dr. Patricia Hampshire, Dr. Linda Marsh and Dr. Terry Davis), I am so grateful for you all and for all you have taught me at WaldenU. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on this wonderful subject with me and my colleagues. I can never thank you all enough –ever. Thank you, thank you.
To all my fellow classmates, please feel free to contact me anytime at nkita7@live.com. I check it daily. I am here to lend an ear or support you in any way that I can possible. Take care and CONGRATULATIONS!

Reference

Laureate Education. (Producer). (n.d.). Merging vision, passion, and practice [Video file].  Retrieved August 17, 2015, from http://mym.cdn.laureatemedia.com/2dett4d/Walden/EDUC/6990/01/mm/ec_pres/index.html

Mind Tools. (n.a.). Emotional intelligence in leadership: Learning how to be aware. Retrieved August 16, 2015, from http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_45.htm

A couple of quotes I am fond of:

 “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you have not found it yet, keep looking, do not settle. As with all matters of the heart, you will know when you find it”
--Steve Jobs

 “Increasing innovation requires one to map stages of creativity, to tend to one’s different needs, to accept the inevitability and utility of failure and to motivate with intellectual challenge (s)”
--T. M. Amabile

“While you judge me by my outward appearance, I am silently doing the same. Even though, there is a ninety-percent chance that in both cases, our assumptions are wrong”
--Richelle Goodrich

“The key to managing a diverse workforce is increasing individual awareness of and sensitivity to differences of race, gender, social class, sexual orientation physical ability and age”
--Gaikward Marlene

“It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength”
--Maya Angelou

3 comments:

  1. Nakita,
    It has been such a pleasure to share this journey with you! I look forward to one day reading one of your books with my class – how exciting that will be! I hope that this goal becomes a realization for you. With a little hard work, determination, and the support of friends and colleagues, you can do anything! Best of luck!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to wish you the best of luck in your future professional goals. I think having a goal of writing children's books is a great and very creative goal to have! It has been great working with you and our other colleagues and I hope I get to see one of your books one day! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To NaKita

    I would like to wish you success in your advocacy in the early childhood field. Thank you for your kind words and elaborating on my post. It was a pleasure having you in my classes. It is always great to have a familiar face/name in the class. Staying current in the early childhood field is an excellent long-term goal for the future. Writing children's book sounds fun. Keep your passion for book writing and I hope to be able to purchase your book in the future. We made it, and this is just the beginning of your our new journey in the early childhood field.

    LaNea

    ReplyDelete